Vanarama National League
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Harrow Borough 1-1 Maidstone United

Saturday 7 March // Ryman League Premier Division // Attendance: 372 // Report by Ruth Tunnell 

A fine strike from Billy Bricknell was enough to give the Stones a point away at Harrow Borough as Maidstone came from behind to make sure they took partial advantage of Margate’s defeat at Enfield Town.

The first half was notable for one incident only and unfortunately for Maidstone it was when they fell behind on 27 minutes. The goal came about when an attempted clearance from Jamie Coyle rebounded into the path of Marc Charles-Smith. The experienced striker still had a lot to do as he ran towards Lee Worgan’s goal but he confidently dispatched the ball into the left hand side of the net.

Maidstone improved significantly after the break but it was Harrow who should have scored again not long after half time. With 51 minutes gone, Craig Stone was pushed forwards and Harrow broke quickly down their left. Ryan Hope ran all the way into the box only to drive his shot across the face of goal.

Then just before the hour mark, the Stones drew level. Bricknell expertly turned into space inside the Harrow area and he sent a deft finish past Nick Jupp who could do nothing to stop it sailing past him and into the net.

Shortly after this, Maidstone were unable to clear the ball from a Reds corner. The ball dropped to Charles-Smith who was in space and his hard low shot was going in until Lee Worgan got down smartly and made an excellent one handed stop.

Harrow were enjoying a decent spell of possession by this point and they went close again when Michael Bryan’s curling effort skimmed the top of the bar. But after this it was the Stones who dominated as they pushed hard in search of a winner in the later stages.

With 75 minutes gone, a corner from Frannie Collin was met by Shane Huke and his header flashed agonisingly past the left hand post. Collin was then involved again moments later. Tom Mills floated a decent ball into the Maidstone striker who might have been offside and Jupp did well to push his effort from close range wide.

Late on, substitute Ben Greenhalgh appeared to be bundled over in the box was he tried to reach a cross but the referee, Mr Leach, was unimpressed and didn’t award a penalty. Then with the game in stoppage time, Mills chipped the ball forwards and Jay May headed it down to Greenhalgh who impulsively hit a shot which cannoned off the left hand post.

Harrow Borough: Marc Charles-Smith 27

Maidstone United: Billy Bricknell 59

Harrow Borough: Nick Jupp, Josh Webb, George McClusky, Michael Peacock, Anthony Page, Ryan Hope, Michael Bryan (Ben Long 89), David Taylor, Marc Charles-Smith, Lewis Driver, Kamaron English. Subs not used: Raheem Sterling-Parker, Julian Smith, Michael Barima, John Jonuga.

Maidstone United: Lee Worgan, Craig Stone, Tom Mills, Shane Huke, Jamie Coyle, James Rogers (Alex Brown 90), Billy Bricknell (Matt Bodkin 69), Jack Parkinson, Jay May, Frannie Collin, George Porter (Ben Greenhalgh 84). Subs not used: Sonny Miles, Will Godmon.

Leave a Reply