Vanarama National League
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Tom Wraight at AFC Fylde

AFC Fylde A-A Maidstone United

Saturday 21 October // Vanarama National League // Report by Ruth Tunnell

Maidstone United’s game against AFC Fylde was abandoned with 48 minutes on the clock after relentless rain throughout the match rendered the pitch unplayable.

The Stones manager Jay Saunders agreed with the decision to call the match off saying: “From our point of view we would rather have got the game done and dusted but I think it was the right decision. When there was a back pass to Lee Worgan which stopped about five yards in front of him that confirmed it.”

Both sides also had to contend with a strong gusting wind with Maidstone having to play into the full force of Storm Brian during the first half. Despite this, the Stones came close to opening the scoring but Josh Hare saw his header cleared off the line by Sam Finley.

And it was Finley who in fact gave the home side the lead on 16 minutes. He ran through the midfield before drilling a low shot from the edge of the box past Worgan.

Maidstone equalised with 25 minutes gone. A delightful ball over the top from Joe Anderson was expertly plucked out the air by Joe Pigott before he calmly finished past Jay Lynch.

The scores weren’t level for long through. Flyde tried a clever corner routine with Finley playing a low ball into Danny Rowe and his shot was deflected wide. The Coasters then repeated the corner and this time, Rowe turned into space before hitting an effort goalwards and Jack Muldoon ensured it crossed the line.

Pigott then could have levelled the scores again when he did well to bring down a header from Jai Reason. However, Pigott was denied by an excellent reaction save from Jay Lynch as he tried to lift the ball past him.

Maidstone then lost Joe Anderson to a foot or ankle injury just before the break. During the interval, Fylde’s staff desperately tried to sweep the water off the pitch and fork various areas. But it was a battle they were destined to lose as the rain continued to pour down and with the ball constantly holding up early in the second half and the players safety in question, the referee, Mr Edwards, made the correct decision to abandon the match.

AFC Fylde: 13. Jay Lynch, 3. Zaine Francis-Angol, 5. Jordan Tunnicliffe, 6. Andy Bond, 8. Sam Finley, 9. Danny Rowe, 11. Jack Muldoon, 12. Jason Taylor, 15. Simon Grand, 22. Luke Burke, 24. George Edmundson. Subs not used: 27. Henry Jones, 25. Jamie Stott, 18. Jonny Smith, 17. Matt Blinkhorn, 1. Rhys Taylor 

Maidstone United: 1. Lee Worgan, 16. Seth Nana Twumasi, 3. Alex Finney, 5. Alex Wynter, 13. Joe Anderson (11. Tom Wraight 43), 2. Josh Hare, 8. Stuart Lewis, 14. Jai Reason, 27. Zavon Hines, 32. Joe Pigott, 10. Delano Sam-Yorke. Subs not used: 7. Jamar Loza, 10. Jack Paxman, 22. Johan ter Horst, 20. Tommy Taylor.

Leave a Reply