Vanarama National League
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Kent Senior Cup final

Maidstone United 0-0 Folkestone Invicta (Stones win 4-2 on penalties)

Tuesday 24 April 2018 // Kent Senior Cup Final // Attendance: 1,685// Report by Ruth Tunnell

Maidstone United have lifted the Kent Senior Cup for the 19th time and for the first time since 1990 as they overcame Bostik Premier League opposition in the form of Folkestone Invicta in a penalty shoot out after the game had finished goalless after normal time.

Jay Saunders made a number of changes to the side which secured National League survival at Chester on Saturday as he made sure some of the players who had got the team to this stage of the competition got to play in the final.

On ten minutes, Ade Yusuff found himself in a decent position inside the box but his weak shot went straight at Lee Worgan. After this though, the Stones dominated and they created a number of opportunities in the first half.

The first of these came when Andre Coker beat the offside trap and raced into the area. Coker slipped at an unfortunate moment though and his resultant effort was blocked. Then Jack Paxman did well to run the ball out of defence and send a neat pass forward for Coker.

Tim Roberts came off his line and managed to make the block before he did the same thing to Paxman seconds later who also found himself in down the left side of the box.

It wasn’t long before Maidstone threatened again. Tom Wraight picked out the unmarked Jamar Loza and from a tight angle, Loza hit the underside of the bar. And on 29 minutes, a free-kick from Jai Reason was headed goalwards by Alex Finney only for Tim Roberts to claw the ball off the line and onto the post before denying Finney again from the rebound.

Worgan was then called into action when he had to push Sam Hasler’s free kick from 25 yards behind for a corner before the Stones could have scored once again. Paxman played the ball to Coker who showed expert skill to spin into plenty of space inside the box and with only Roberts to beat, Coker went for power and smashed the ball into the Town End.

The opening part of the second half was more evenly matched but the Stones might have edged in front on 56 minutes. Tom Wraight’s cross from the left was met by the unmarked Loza but Loza was unable to generate any power with the header and Roberts made a routine diving save.

However, Folkestone began to come into the game more as the second half progressed and they had a good prolonged spell where they might have nicked a winner.

Seth Nana Twumasi had to be alert to put the ball out for a corner as Kieron McCann threatened to get in close to the by-line and from McCann’s corner, Josh Vincent headed wide at the back post. McCann was involved again shortly after this when he burst past Nana Twumasi and from a tight angle, Worgan made the block.

Then on 75 minutes, Invicta went even closer. Yusuff got into space close to the six yard box and he drove the ball goalwards only for Worgan to make a finger tipped save which meant the ball went inches wide of the far post.

Late on, Turgott made Roberts parry a swerving effort from just outside the area but neither side could break the deadlock which meant the tie went straight to penalties.

Turgott took the first spot kick for Maidstone and he put the ball into the bottom right hand corner and Yusuff did the same for Invicta.

Successful penalties from Jai Reason and Joe Taylor were followed by a penalty by Reece Prestedge who smashed the ball down the middle of the goal.

But Invicta’s next spot kick taker was Sam Hasler and his rising effort smacked the bar leaving Michael Phillips to increase the pressure when he found the back of the net.

Kieron McCann was left with the responsibility of keeping Invicta in the tie but his penalty was wild meaning Maidstone were the winners of the Kent Senior Cup.

Maidstone United:

Folkestone Invicta:


Maidstone United: Blair Turgott, Jai Reason, Reece Prestedge, Michael Phillips

Folkestone Invicta: Ade Yusuff, Joe Taylor

Maidstone United: 1. Lee Worgan, 16. Seth Nana Twumasi, 5. Alex Wynter, 3. Alex Finney, 13. Joe Anderson, 14. Jai Reason, 4. Reece Prestedge, 10. Jack Paxman (37. Michael Phillips 71), 11. Tom Wraight , 7. Jamar Loza (17. Darius Osei 79), 35. Andre Coker (19. Blair Turgott 61). Subs not used: 8. Stuart Lewis, 23. Jack Richards.

Folkestone Invicta: 1. Tim Roberts, 2. Josh Vincent, 3. Nat Blanks (14. Matt Newman 25), 4. Michael Everitt (12. Ian Draycott 73), 5. Callum Davies, 6. Sam Hasler, 7. Johan Ter Horst (15. Robbie Dolan 62), 8. Jerald Aboagye, 9. Joe Taylor, 10. Ade Yusuff, 11. Kieron McCann. Subs not used: 16. Jordan Wright. 17. Nick Shaw.

Who was your Man of the Match in the Kent Senior Cup Final?

  • Alex Finney (29%, 33 Votes)
  • Andre Coker (13%, 15 Votes)
  • Jack Paxman (12%, 13 Votes)
  • Lee Worgan (11%, 12 Votes)
  • Tom Wraight (11%, 12 Votes)
  • Alex Wynter (5%, 6 Votes)
  • Michael Phillips (4%, 5 Votes)
  • Reece Prestedge (4%, 4 Votes)
  • Blair Turgott (3%, 3 Votes)
  • Joe Anderson (3%, 3 Votes)
  • Seth Nana Twumasi (2%, 2 Votes)
  • Jamar Loza (2%, 2 Votes)
  • Jai Reason (1%, 1 Votes)
  • Darius Osei (1%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Leave a Reply