Vanarama National League
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Emirates FA Cup

Wimborne Town 2-2 Maidstone United (3-1 pens)

Emirates FA Cup 3QR // Tuesday 13 October 2020

Maidstone were knocked out of the FA Cup on penalties after conceding a last-gasp equaliser in normal time.

George Elokobi, Joe Ellul and Dominic Odusanya missed from the spot as Wimborne won the shoot-out 3-1 to reach the final qualifying round.

Charlie Seaman’s double appeared to have sent Maidstone through but Charlie Gunson scored his second of the night with 20 seconds of added time to play.

Maidstone had more than enough chances to win comfortably, also missing a penalty in normal time for the second successive game when Scott Rendell was denied from the spot.

United lost Saidou Khan to a knee injury in the warm-up, with his place taken by Christie Pattison.

Southern League Wimborne made a bright start but Maidstone soon took control with George Porter’s trickery and runs from midfield troubling the hosts, and Sam Corne composed in possession on his return from injury.

United had plenty of the ball and began to carve out chances but it was soon turning into a free-kick duel between Seaman and home keeper Billy Terrell.

Terrell was equal to the first one, a dipping 20-yard strike pushed over for a corner in the 20th minute.

An even better strike from further out had the stopper beaten but came back off the bar.

It was third time lucky for Seaman in the 29th minute as Maidstone took the lead.

Seaman went down the middle this time, from about 25 yards, with the ball perhaps moving late as it went through Terrell and into the net.

Maidstone were looking comfortable but Wimborne went on to have a spell of possession and levelled in the 38th minute.

Gunson was the scorer, slamming home a loose ball from the edge of the area, giving debutant keeper Ravan Constable no chance.

Wimborne looked lively again at the start of the second half but Maidstone regained the lead in the 52nd minute.

Rendell showed good strength to win a long ball and play it across the six-yard box, with Seaman bundling home his second at the far post.

Porter volleyed over from a near-post corner as Maidstone went close to a quick third.

They had a big chance to add number three from the penalty spot in the 63rd minute when Porter was taken down rounding Terrell, who was booked.

Rendell stepped up but his low effort was saved by Terrell, diving to his right.

In-form Terrell made a double save from another Seaman free-kick and Porter’s follow-up soon after.

Another chance followed when Porter threaded a smashing through ball in behind the defence for Rendell to run out but Terrell saved with his legs.

Moments later, substitute Odusanya hooked the ball inches over before testing the keeper from a free-kick.

Wimborne kept going with Constable making a flying late save to keep his side in front. But he was beaten at the death as Gunson fired home to make it 2-2.

Rendell scored Maidstone’s only successful kick in the shoot-out, with Luke Holmes slotting the decisive kick for Wimborne.

Wimborne Town: Billy Terrell, Daniel Strugnell, Billy Maybury, Sam Davidson, Aidan Shepherd, Jamie Henry, Curtis Young, Luke Holmes, Jake Sinclair, Charlie Gunson, Callum Chugg. Subs: James Langdon, Stefan Penny, Scott Arnold, Cameron Smith, Jack Lovell, Mark Gamble, Regan Mason

Maidstone United: Ravan Constable, Gavin Hoyte, Joe Ellul, George Elokobi, Raphe Brown, Sam Corne, Kreshnic Krasniqi (Dominic Odusanya 71), Christie Pattison (Ibz Olutade 74), George Porter, Charlie Seaman (De Niro Pinto 77), Scott Rendell. Subs not used: Chris Lewington, Noah Chesmain, Jayden Randell, Ibby Akanbi.