Vanarama National League
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Maidstone United 1-1 Guiseley

Maidstone United 1 - 1 Guiseley
07 Oct 2017 - 15:00Gallagher Stadium, James Whatman Way, ME14 1LQ

Saturday 7 October // Vanarama National League // Attendance: 2,552 (33 Guiseley supporters) // Report by Ruth Tunnell

Guiseley arrived at the Gallagher Stadium with only one win all season but thanks to a 90th minute penalty from substitute Frank Mulhern they left with a point in a match which never burst into life.

The Lions came within inches of taking the lead with just a minute played. Mike Fondop-Talom ran into space on the left side of the box and from a tight angle, he hit a low shot which Lee Worgan did well to divert behind using his hand.

But it was the Stones who opened the scoring with just 12 minutes gone. Jack Richards ran down the left and drove a cross into the box where the Guiseley defence made a mess of trying to get it clear and the ball dropped to Zavon Hines who took a nice touch to round Jonny Maxted before finishing from close range.

Both sides were struggling to get into any rhythm but the Lions soon had a chance to equalise. Worgan couldn’t gather Connor Brown’s cross inside a crowded box and the ball fell to Rob Atkinson who had an open goal to shoot at and his effort deflected just wide.

Maidstone thought they had pulled further ahead with 36 minutes gone when Richards turned the ball in from close range following a corner from Hines and a header on from Joe Pigott but Richards was adjudged to be in an offside position. The final chance of the half was also carved out by Richards who made room for a shot from just outside the box and his curling effort only just missed the right post.

The game continued as the same steady tempo after the break although the Stones strung together a neat move not long after the restart. Reece Prestedge found Richards who deftly touched the ball into Pigott who advanced towards the box only to lift the ball well over the bar.

Molyneux then went close with a strong drive from 20 yards out before the visitors nearly equalised just before the hour mark. Rooney put a good corner into the box where it was met by Rob Atkinson but Worgan managed to claw the ball off the line.

With 14 minutes remaining, a good corner from Prestedge was headed just wide by Jai Reason but with the game in stoppage time, the referee, Mr Hair, ruled that Prestedge had brought down Will Hatfield inside the box. Frank Mulhern stepped up to take the resultant penalty and he sent a confident finish past Worgan to give Guiseley the share of the points.

Maidstone United: Zavon Hines 12

Guiseley: Frank Mulhern 90+2 (pen)

Maidstone United: 1. Lee Worgan, 16. Seth Nana Twumasi, 6. Magnus Okuonghae (3. Alex Finney 17), 5. Alex Wynter, 13. Joe Anderson, 4. Reece Prestedge, 8. Stuart Lewis, 14. Jai Reason, 27. Zavon Hines (22. Johan ter Horst 88), 32. Joe Pigott, 23. Jack Richards (11. Tom Wraight 81). Subs not used: 10. Jack Paxman, 12. Ollie Muldoon.

Guiseley: 1. Jonny Maxted, 2. Connor Brown, 5. Ash Palmer, 25. Rob Atkinson (6. Jake Lawlor 62), 29. Lewis Freestone, 10. John Rooney (31. Andrew Haworth 74), 8. Will Hatfield, 28. Simon Lenighan, 11. Lee Molyneux, 19. Kayode Odejayi (18. Frank Mulhern 71), 30. Mike Fondop-Talom. Subs not used: 4. James Wesolowski, 9. Reece Thompson.

Who was your man of the match against Guiseley

  • Alex Finney (39%, 58 Votes)
  • Jack Richards (17%, 25 Votes)
  • Zavon Hines (8%, 12 Votes)
  • Alex Wynter (7%, 10 Votes)
  • Stuart Lewis (7%, 10 Votes)
  • Joe Anderson (5%, 8 Votes)
  • Lee Worgan (5%, 7 Votes)
  • Seth Nana Twumasi (5%, 7 Votes)
  • Joe Pigott (3%, 5 Votes)
  • Jai Reason (1%, 2 Votes)
  • Reece Prestedge (1%, 1 Votes)
  • Tom Wraight (1%, 1 Votes)
  • Johan ter Horst (1%, 1 Votes)
  • Magnus Okuonghae (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 147

Loading ... Loading ...

Maidstone United 1-1 Guiseley