Maidstone United Football Club
Maidstone United Hotline: 09068 800691 (60p per min)  
First Team | Reserves | Youth | Vets | New Stadium

Commcare Ltd

Britelite Windows

The Prime Group

The Stones Report

Maidstone United 1-4 Tonbridge Angels

Wednesday 11th April 2007
Kent Senior Cup Semi Final
Attendance: 259
Match reporter: Ruth Tunnell


Stones: Ryan Royston 55

Tonbridge: Ray Powell 9, Jon Main 19, 29, Ian Parkes 30



Stones: Michal Czanner, Chris Smalling (Jason Batt 71), Kane Rice (James Peacock 51), Lloyd Hume, Rob Lyall, Ryan Royston, Sam Morrison, Jason Barton, Alex Tiesse, Simon Austin, Aaron Shade (Dale Nott 71). Subs not used: Andy Hart, Shaun Surridge

Tonbridge: Tonbridge Angels: Matt Bromby, Scott Gooding, Jon Heath, Robbie Kember (Tony Dolby 81), Steve Aris (Scott Whibley 55), John Beales, Ian Parkes, Luke Piscina, Ray Powell, Jon Main, Fraser Logan (Matt Lovell 45). Subs not used: Ashley Dann, Mike Cramp


Following the disapointment of the two draws over the Easter weekend, The Stones took a welcome break from the tensions of trying to clinch the league title to try and book place in the Kent Senior Cup Final.

However, with four crucial fixtures remaining in Ryman League One Lloyd Hume and Alan Walker understandably elected to select just four first team players in the squad.

On paper, the Tonbridge side clearly looked significantly stronger and so it proved as they eased to a comfortable win thanks to dominant first half performance.

On ten minutes, a Stones attack broke down in the Tonbridge area and the visitors quickly broke. Robbie Kember threaded an excellent ball out wide to Luke Piscina who crossed for Ray Powell to turn and fire in from the edge of the six yard box.

The tie was effectively ended on nineteen minutes when a good individual piece of skill from Jon Main ended with the Tonbridge hit man volleying past Michal Czanner.

But before this, Alex Tiesse really should have done better when he received the ball from Sam Morrison but he mis-kicked and the opportunity passed.

On twenty nine minutes Kane Rice tried to dribble the ball out of defence but a poor touch meant he was swiftly dispossed by Main who waltzed into the area and finished cooly. Then just sixty seconds later, The Stones' defence fell apart once again and this time, Main set up Ian Parkes and his weak shot looped into the right hand corner of the net.

The second half was a much quieter affair but on fifty five minutes Ryan Royston leathered in his ninth goal of the season after the visitors defence could not clear the ball.

There was to be no great comeback from Maidstone though and in the dying stages, Tonbridge should have completed their rout. On eighty five minutes Jon Heath's cross picked out Main and his drive struck Lloyd Hume's hand. With Main keen to complete his hat-trick he assumed responsibility for the spot kick but he scuffed his shot and Czanner saved low to his right hand side.

Main was then given one more chance to get his third goal when he ran through and only had Czanner to beat. However, the Stones' keeper raced to the edge of the area and he managed to catch Main's attempted lob.

< < < Back to match reports index

© Maidstone United FC Limited | <<< Back | Designed by FireStarter | Contact Info | About MUFC | Furst Hosting

Ryman Football League